MANILA - The country's transportation department on Saturday appealed to the public to help prevent stone-throwing incidents at Philippine National Railway's (PNR) trains.
This, as the PNR revealed there were 14 incidents of "stone-throwing" recorded from December 2 until December 21. PNR's new trains from Indonesia have been spared by far.
The Department of Transportation (DOTr) in a statement also called on the public to report similar incidents and help maintain the quality of the trains.
"The trains are owned by the Filipino people, and we all should do our part in helping their maintenance and upkeep, and help ensure that we protect these infrastructure investments so that majority of our fellow citizens may enjoy their long term use," it said on a statement posted on their Facebook page.
The agency said it was "closely coordinating" with authorities to investigate those involved in the stone-throwing incidents.
PNR management previously told DZMM that around 3 to 4 incidents of "sabotage" incidents are recorded every week.
Among these are incidents where people hurl rocks and use slingshots to hit the trains. Some also allegedly place springs inside rail tracks.
"There is no place in society for doing these dastardly acts, especially at a time when when your government is doing everything it can to provide the riding public with modern transport infrastructure," DoTR said.
The agency is currently working on massive transport infrastructure programs such as the Metro Rail Transit-7 project, which extends the services of the MRT to San Jose Del Monte, Bulacan. Also part of the project is the revamping of PNR trains.