PET rejects Caguioa request to re-raffle Robredo-Marcos poll protest

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 20 2018 12:03 PM | Updated as of Aug 20 2018 03:09 PM

MANILA (UPDATE) - The Presidential Electoral Tribunal has denied the request of Supreme Court Associate Justice Alfredo Benjamin Caguioa to re-raffle the electoral protest of former Senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr and Vice President Leni Robredo, which was initially assigned to him.

Caguioa, currently the justice-in-charge of the case, wrote to the Supreme Court sitting as PET in a letter-memorandum about his intent to have the case unloaded from him prior to Marcos’ filing of a motion for his inhibition.

He said he does not intend to inhibit from the case so that he may still participate in the deliberations and voting, thus, he is asking for a re-raffle of the case to another magistrate.

In a statement released after the reports of Caguioa's plea surfaced, the Supreme Court said "there has been no change in the management" of the case as the magistrate's request was "denied unanimously."

The high tribunal also said that news items pertained to a document that is "both internal and privileged and which could only have been obtained or accessed unofficially."

Marcos filed a motion earlier this month seeking Caguioa's recusal from the case because the justice is "biased towards the ‘yellow brigade’" given that he was a close friend of former President Benigno Aquino III.

The former senator also alleged that Caguioa's wife, Pier Angela, is an ardent Robredo supporter who actively campaigned for the vice president in the 2016 elections and "continued to work for her in this case."

Marcos lost to Robredo by about 260,000 votes and he subsequently filed the protest, claiming massive fraud. - report from Ina Reformina, ABS-CBN News