More than 500 GCQ violators caught in Cebu City: police

Annie Perez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 04 2020 02:04 AM

Cebu City residents caught violating COVID-19 policies were brought to the Plaza Independencia for a 12-hour seminar which included community service and exercise. Courtesy of PROBE 7

CEBU CITY - After conducting an all-out operation over the weekend, authorities said Monday that they have apprehended over 571 individuals who allegedly violated the general community quarantine in Cebu City.

"They think we will relax, but we have to be strict that only those workers will go out," said Police Col. Josefino Ligan, director of the Cebu City Police Office.

Of the 571, 278 were reportedly caught without their quarantine passes while 267 violated the stay-at-home policy. The remaining 7 were not wearing face masks.

They were brought to the Plaza Independencia for a 12-hour seminar which included community service and exercise.

"We will add checkpoints," said Ligan to make sure that the protocols will be followed. Apart from the 17 quarantine control points in the city, there are barangay border controls and the hourly roving of the Special Action Force.

The Department of Health Central Visayas meanwhile said that the cases in Cebu City have gone down. Active cases are over 2,000, after more than 5,600 patients have recovered.

"The strict quarantine last week really helped," said DOH-7 spokesperson Dr. Mary Jean Loreche.