MRT-3 ops back after coronavirus hits hundreds of personnel

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 13 2020 07:51 AM | Updated as of Jul 13 2020 08:19 AM

Watch more in iWant or TFC.tv

MANILA -- The MRT-3 operations resumed Monday on a limited capacity after a 6-day shutdown that gave way to a coronavirus screening of its personnel.

The MRT management earlier said at least 2,103 personnel tested negative for the pathogen, exceeding the 1,308 required personnel to resume train operations. 

Of the 281 personnel who tested positive, only one had developed symptoms while the rest are doing well under quarantine, MRT-3 operations chief Mike Capati told ABS-CBN's TeleRadyo. 

The first infected MRT personnel was from the depot and might have passed the virus to co-workers. They had no contact with the station personnel who later tested positive, he said. 

Those who reported for work on Monday were in full safety gear. Passengers are required to go through thermal checks, fill up a form for contact tracing and practice social distancing, Capati said. 

 

Thirteen trains were running as of 6 a.m., down from the 16 to 19 trains operating earlier this month. These are disinfected regularly, the transportation department said on Facebook. 

Ninety buses are augmenting the MRT operations, with units dispatched every 3 minutes, the agency added. 

The MRT, which runs the length of EDSA from Quezon City to Pasay City, has ferried up to 70,000 passengers daily during the pandemic, said Capati. 

The railway was one of the first modes of public transport that re-opened when Metro Manila eased its 3-month lockdown in June. 

— With reports from Lyza Aquino and Jamaine Punzalan, ABS-CBN News