Guevarra again declines nomination to Supreme Court

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 05 2020 11:23 PM | Updated as of Jul 05 2020 11:49 PM

MANILA - Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra has again declined a nomination to the Supreme Court saying his services are more needed at the Department of Justice.

This was the second time that Guevarra declined a nomination to the High Court made by Retired Associate Sandiganbayan Justice Raoul Victorino.

In a letter addressed to Victorino, Guevarra said he again thanks the former Justice, but said that the “opportunity has come at a time when my services as Secretary of the Department of Justice are most needed.”

“The government is facing a huge and unprecedented crisis occasioned by the COVID-19 pandemic, and it is especially during these troubled times that law and order must be preserved and maintained,” Guevarra said.

In November last year, Victorino nominated Guevarra to the Supreme Court, but the DOJ Chief said he was "still in love" with his agency.