Woman who arrived from Cebu is 10th coronavirus case in CDO

ABS-CBN News

Posted at May 27 2020 05:57 PM | Updated as of May 27 2020 10:21 PM

CAGAYAN DE ORO (UPDATE) - The Cagayan de Oro City Health Office said Wednesday a woman who arrived from Cebu City has tested positive for COVID-19, the tenth confirmed case of the illness in the city.

Dr. Joselito Retuya, the city health office’s resident epidemiologist, said the 25-year-old patient may have caught the disease in Cebu City.

“Definitely, the source of infection is not from Cagayan de Oro, not even in the boat. But it’s somewhere in Cebu City where they were stranded,” he said in Filipino.

The woman was among passengers who were ferried to Cagayan de Oro on May 19 after they were left stranded in Cebu City, which remains under strict lockdown because of COVID-19 cases there.

Upon arrival, they were brought to an isolation facility for a mandatory 14-day quarantine.

The woman was rushed to the hospital due to breathing difficulty on May 26, the same day her test results confirming coronavirus infection was released.

“Her symptoms are dry cough and diarrhea. The patient is now in stable condition,” Dr. Bernard Rocha, medical specialist at the Northern Mindanao Medical Center, said in Filipino.

The woman is an architecture graduate who went to Cebu City for a licensure examination, which had been postponed due to the pandemic.

Her co-passenger, who hails from Iligan City, earlier tested positive for COVID-19.

Local health authorities have traced 65 people who have come in contact with both passengers.

Cebu City is among areas in the country that has recorded the highest number of coronavirus infections. To date, the city has 2,013 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with 394 recoveries.

As of Wednesday, the number of coronavirus infections in the Philippines surpassed 15,000. The tally includes 904 who succumbed to the disease while 3,506 have recovered.

– Report from Rod Bolivar, ABS-CBN News