MANILA - Metro Manila, home to nearly 13 million people, remains the hardest-hit by the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic in the country, a government official said Thursday.
More than half of the country's coronavirus infections are in the Philippine capital region, which has 1,511 reported cases, said Carlito Galvez Jr., chief implementer of the government’s national policy against the COVID-19.
South of Metro Manila, Calabarzon has the second highest number of coronavirus cases with 178, said Galvez, who is also the president's peace adviser.
It is followed by Central Luzon with 65, Davao Region with 61, and Central Visayas with 36.
Bicol Region and Eastern Visayas, meanwhile, are the least affected by the crisis with each 1 reported coronavirus case.
In Metro Manila, Quezon City, the country's most populous city, reported the most number of coronavirus infections at 439, with 27 deaths.
It is followed by Manila with 180 cases, including 10 deaths; Makati City with 144 cases, including 4 deaths; San Juan City with 119 cases, including 8 deaths; and Pasig City with 112 cases, including 6 deaths.
The least affected localities in Metro Manila are Pateros and Navotas, recording 6 and 1 cases, respectively.
As of Thursday, April 2, the Philippines has recorded 2,633 COVID-19 cases.
The total figure includes 107 deaths and 51 people who recovered from the virus, which originated last year in Wuhan City in Hubei province, China.