The effects of the worldwide Coronavirus outbreak continue to extend beyond hospital beds and impromptu quarantines. Among other preventive measures, health authorities are recommending that the public limit their exposure to crowds. That, along with widespread flight and route cancellations, would-be travelers are opting to stay home.
Because of this, not only is tourism in many countries taking a hit, but also major events around the world. It is a global logistical nightmare. Many have already cancelled, or seriously mulling over the possibility of cancellation, which presents a possible deathly blow to businesses. No less than the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, scheduled from July 24 to August 9, have been deliberating over postponement or cancellation, which, given the scale of the event, might mean putting the Japanese government’s more than USD 12 billion investment in peril.
You may also like:
- More employers and workers embrace flexible work arrangements in the time of COVID-19
- With no vaccine for Covid-19, what can we do to boost our immune system?
- An infectious diseases expert separates fact from fake news on the novel coronavirus
- The key to mental health in the workplace is talking about it
Regionally, a lot of events and conferences have been cancelled, or, as in the case of Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants, have opted to go virtual. In the Philippines, concerts like those of Avril Lavigne and Jimmy Eat World have been cancelled while large sporting events like the UAAP have been put off.
Here are some of the confirmed cancellations or postponements, locally and around the world:
4. While Wanderland Music and Arts Festival is pushing through at a later date , several artists have cancelled their appearance.
Culture and Politics