Illegal OFWs in Korea urged: Seek gov't aid vs coronavirus
Illegal Filipino workers in South Korea should reach out to the government for any concern on the coronavirus outbreak that has so far infected 1,146 people there, a Philippine envoy said Wednesday.
"Mayroon din siyempreng grupo o mga kababayan natin na hindi pa natin nari-reach out... kasi hindi naman po lahat e documented," Philippine Consul General Christian De Jesus told DZMM.
(There are groups of Filipinos that we have yet to reach because not everyone is documented.)
"Pati po ang Korean government, sinabi na na kahit ano ang visa status ay huwag mag-atubili [na makipag-ugnayan], lalo na kung andoon kayo sa area ng Daegu at North Gyeongsang province," he said.
(Even the Korean government said that regardless of visa status, they shouldn't hesitate to approach authorities, especially if you're in Daegu and North Gyeongsang province.)
Around 80 percent of infections were in Daegu, the country's fourth-largest city and the epicenter of the outbreak, and the neighboring province of North Gyeongsang.
Authorities urged the public to exercise extra caution, advising citizens to stay home if they have a fever or respiratory symptoms.
"The government will mobilize all resources and means" to try to control the outbreak, Prime Minster Chung Sye-kyun told a meeting in Daegu, where he is leading the government response, Yonhap news agency reported.
There were some 52,000 documented Filipino workers in Korea in 2015, according to government data.
A Philippine inter-agency task force on Wednesday will meet about a potential travel restriction on Korea and Japan, the health department said. With a report from Agence France-Presse
DZMM, Feb. 26, 2020