Senate eyes 3 separate prisons for heinous crime convicts

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 24 2019 09:49 AM | Updated as of Sep 24 2019 02:45 PM

Watch also in iWant or TFC.tv

Senate President Tito Sotto is backing a proposal to use 3 separate facilities to house heinous crime convicts amid various reports of corruption inside New Bilibid Prisons in Muntinlupa. 

Heinous crime convicts could be brought to 3 different prisons in Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao: the Fort Magsaysay military reservation in Laur, Nueva Ecija; the Davao Penal Colony in Panabo City, Davao del Norte; and a third facility either in Capiz or Iloilo, Sotto told radio DZMM. 

The Department of Justice is eyeing a P400-million budget for the modernization of the prisons, he said. 

"If the budget is submitted this week or next week...last week of November we could have it in 2nd and 3rd reading," said Sotto. 

He also backed a proposal to build a "supermax" prison for convicts who committed "high level crimes." 

The DOJ "will support any and all bills aiming to decongest and modernize our prison facilities," said Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra. 

The issue, however, is "a question of legislative priority, given the competing claims of the more productive sectors like public works and education," he said in a statement. 

The privatization of parts of NBP could be a "stand-alone funding source, but this is subject to a comprehensive legal audit and feasibility study, not to mention the political will to do it," he added. 

DZMM, September 24, 2019