MIAA chief won't stand in way of a military takeover of NAIA

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 09 2019 11:41 AM

Watch also in iWant or TFC.tv

The manager of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) on Tuesday pledged support for President Rodrigo Duterte if he orders a military takeover of the country's main gateway. 

Duterte last week said he will tap the Air Force to manage NAIA, once tagged as the world's worst airport, if its operations do not improve. 

"Iyan po ay susuportahan natin, kung ano man ang wisdom ng ating Pangulo," said Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) General Manager (GM) Ed Monreal. 

(We will support that, whatever the wisdom of the President is.)

Monreal said he has not spoken with Duterte and he does not know the reason for the President's threat. 

A consortium last year was granted an “original proponent status” for plans to expand NAIA’s capacity to 65 million from 31 million passengers annually. 

MIAA and the consortium last February were still discussing the "finer details" of the concession agreement for the airport's rehabilitation. 

DZMM, 9 April 2019