Pacquiao takes dig at Mayweather after video on rematch plan surfaces

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 20 2019 08:13 PM

Mayweather (left) had been adamant that there would be no followup to his 2015 fight with Pacquiao, but a clip that has gone around the past few days appears to counter that. John Locher, AP/file

Manny Pacquiao on Monday night took to social media to take a swipe at Floyd Mayweather Jr., after a video surfaced showing Mayweather apparently open to a rematch.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Looks like @FloydMayweather is using my name again to get himself some attention. #FunnyMoney

A post shared by Manny Pacquiao (@mannypacquiao) on

Mayweather had been adamant that there would be no followup to their 2015 fight, and that he is content with life away from the ring.

But a clip that has gone around recently shows Mayweather apparently all right with a sequel, although he later refuted his own words.

“I wanna say thank you. It’s an honor to come to Saudi Arabia to sit down with you guys to talk about the Mayweather versus Pacquiao rematch,” Mayweather said.

“Saudi Arabia. Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather. I’m on my way.”

In an article posted later on FightHype.com, Mayweather said the video “is false” and that he went to Saudi Arabia “a long time ago.”

According to the FightHype story, the video was made 9 months ago or late last year.

“I talked to them about me fighting there, just different fights, but they wanted me to specifically say Manny Pacquiao,” Mayweather said.

“And actually, we didn’t just talk about boxing. We talked about different events, us bringing different events out there.”

The former world champion added: “Basically, that’s an old video. At the end of the day, there’s no talks about me and Manny Pacquiao fighting a rematch. Even if we did fight, all they’re going to do is have an excuse, just like the first time.”

For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.