MANILA, Philippines -- The NCAA intends to meet with ABS-CBN management after the media network was denied a new broadcast franchise by the House of Representatives' franchise committee last Friday.
The NCAA has called ABS-CBN its home since 2015, when it signed a 10-year deal with the network.
"We were saddened by the recent denial of the application for a new franchise by ABS-CBN," Fr. Vic Calvo of Letran, who chairs the NCAA Season 96, said in a statement. "But we are sure the NCAA can work it out with them."
"We need to sit down and discuss with ABS-CBN management what are the options," he added. "Marami namang ibang platforms na available."
Aside from the NCAA, ABS-CBN Sports+Action also broadcasts the UAAP, the Premier Volleyball League, the MPBL, and the ASEAN Basketball League.
Calvo has previously expressed his gratitude that ABS-CBN remains committed to promoting the NCAA despite its franchise woes.
"'Yung commitment na sinabi sa akin, we're committed to promote the brand of the NCAA at all cost. So ganoon naman ang commitment na binibigay sa akin as of now," Calvo said during an appearance in the Philippine Sportswriters Association Forum last month.
"Hopeful kami na maging maganda, at the end of day, maganda lahat sa partner namin," he said at the time.
Voting 70 to 11, the Committee on Legislative Franchises denied a new broadcast franchise for ABS-CBN, shutting down a major part of the country's largest media network. This development came months after President Rodrigo Duterte repeatedly threatened to pull the plug on the network over complaints of partisanship in the 2016 elections.
(For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website).