DFA: No Pinoy reported hurt in Japan blast

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Dec 18 2018 04:51 AM | Updated as of Dec 18 2018 07:00 AM

Firefighters operate at the site where a large explosion occurred at a restaurant in Sapporo, Hokkaido, northern Japan, in this photo taken by Kyod Sunday. Kyodo via Reuters

MANILA - No Filipino has so far been reported injured in the explosion at a restaurant in Sapporo, Japan, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Monday.

"According to the Philippine Embassy in Tokyo, police reported no Filipinos among the 42 individuals who were reportedly injured in the blast at a restaurant in Toyohara District in Sapporo," DFA said in a statement.

Japanese authorities are still investigating the incident, but there were reports that it may have been a gas leak.

Among those injured were several children and a woman who broke her leg after jumping from the building to escape the fire.

The blast damaged buildings and caused a temporary blackout in the area. - with report from Agence France-Presse