MANILA - There was no Filipino casualty in raging wildfires in parts of California that forced thousands to evacuate their homes, the Philippine envoy to the United States said Friday.
Some 25,000 Filipinos are on the path of separate fires in the densely populated Southern California, but the Consulate has not yet received reports of injuries or fatalities, said Ambassador Jose Manuel Romualdez.
"So far, there have been no casualties or no calls coming from our consulate. We have a hotline that we have established there, where many of our Filipinos live around that area," he told ANC's Early Edition.
Another blaze was reported in the north of San Diego on Thursday (Pacific Time Zone) as firefighters tried to put out the earlier fire that has raged from Los Angeles up the Pacific coast to Santa Barbara county.
Romualdez said the wildfires have been strong because the wind and the humidity in the area were a "very lethal combination."
The Philippine posts in the US will help the affected Filipinos, if any, "in any way we can," he said, adding that the consulate in Los Angeles has gotten in touch with some of the registered Filipino Americans in their jurisdiction.