No Pinoys affected so far in Northern California wildfire: DFA

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 29 2018 07:56 PM

Scarred hills remain after the Carr Fire west of Redding, California. Bob Strong, Reuters

MANILA -- The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said it is closely monitoring a fast-spreading wildfire in Redding, California that has already destroyed hundreds of structures and forced thousands to evacuate.

The Philippine Consulate General in San Francisco is also checking the situation of Filipinos in Redding and surrounding areas to determine whether any of them has been affected by the so-called Carr Fire.

Consul General Henry Bensurto said they have not received any request for assistance so far from any Filipino.

There are 227 Filipinos in Redding.

The death toll from the wildfire rose to five with the discovery of human remains believed to be those of a missing elderly woman and her two great-grandchildren, even as fire crews battled on to quell flames that have devastated entire neighborhoods.

More than 38,000 people remained under evacuation orders on Sunday in and around the city of Redding, about 257 kilometers north of the state capital Sacramento, from a blaze that has destroyed more than 500 buildings and continued to rage largely unchecked into a seventh day.

The Carr Fire, the deadliest and most destructive of nearly 90 wildfires burning from Texas to Oregon, has charred almost 34,000 hectares of drought-parched vegetation since erupting last Monday.

More than 4,000 structures were threatened by the fire, officials said. -- with a report from Reuters