MANILA - The Department of Foreign Affairs on Tuesday said no Filipino was hurt in a suspected terror attack in Belgium, as it sympathized with the European nation over the incident.
Earlier in the day, a gunman shot dead 2 police officersbefore killing a bystander in the Belgian city of Liège, about 100 kilometers south of the capital, Brussels.
"We condole with the Government of Belgium and the Belgian people and stand in solidarity with them," Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said in a statement.
The Philippine Embassy in Brussels reported no Filipinos were among the casualties in the carnage. About 100 Filipinos live in Liège, it said.
A terrorist investigation was launched into the incident, which came as Belgium was on high alert after a string of attacks including twin suicide bombings in Brussels in 2016 claimed by the Islamic State group.
- with a report from Agence France-Presse