Another OFW in Hong Kong tests positive for coronavirus: DFA official

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 04 2020 09:04 PM

People wear protective masks as they walk outside a shopping mall at Causeway Bay, following the outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Hong Kong, China February 21, 2020. Tyrone Siu, Reuters

MANILA - Another Filipino migrant worker in Hong Kong tested positive for the deadly coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), an official of the Philippine foreign ministry said Wednesday.

In a tweet, Foreign Affairs Undersecretary Brigido Dulay said the patient is the third Filipino in the Chinese territory to be infected with the disease that has spread out of China since December last year to more than 60 other countries.

Dulay said the latest Filipino patient is already in a quarantine facility "undergoing treatment."

Last month, two Filipinos tested positive for the virus in the Chinese special administrative region that hosts some 240,000 Filipino workers. They were last reported to be no longer exhibiting symptoms, with one expected to be discharged last weekend.

At least nine other Filipinos were quarantined there due to their exposure to people who contracted the disease. All have since been released.

The Philippine health department said more than 80 Filipinos abroad were reported to have tested positive for COVID-19, most of whom were those aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan.

The new virus, believed to have originated from the Chinese city of Wuhan, has infected more than 90,000 people and killed around 3,200 across the world, mostly in China.