Hong Kong Disneyland and Ocean Park to be closed from Sunday to help prevent spread of virus -CCTV

Reuters, Agence-France Presse

Posted at Jan 26 2020 10:51 AM | Updated as of Jan 26 2020 11:27 AM

Members of staff wearing masks are seen outside the Shanghai Disney Resort, that is closed today during the Chinese Lunar New Year holiday following the outbreak of a new coronavirus, in Shanghai, China January 25, 2020. REUTERS/Aly Song

SHANGHAI, Jan 26 (Reuters) (UPDATE) - Hong Kong's popular amusement parks Disneyland and Ocean Park are closed from Jan. 26 to help prevent the spread of a deadly coronavirus that broke out in the Chinese city Wuhan, state media CCTV reported on Sunday.

Business is going on as usual at the hotels inside Hong Kong Disneyland, however, CCTV reported.

In a separate report, the Agence France-Presse quoted the park to have said in a statement: “As a precautionary measure in line with prevention efforts taking place across Hong Kong, we are temporarily closing Hong Kong Disneyland park out of consideration for the health and safety of our guests and cast members.”

The Philippine consulate in Hong Kong advised Filipinos there to follow guidelines issued by health authorities to control the spread of the disease.

In an "important advisory" issued Sunday, the consulate encouraged Filipinos to "use face masks, wash hands thoroughly, maintain good personal hygiene, avoid large crowds and gatherings, and avoid interaction with persons exhibiting symptoms."

"Community organizations are also advised to postpone public events to help reduce the risk of infection," the advisory reads.

The consulate can be reached through its hotline (+852) 9155-4023.

 

Meanwhile, the Shanghai government said on Friday that Shanghai Disneyland will be closed from Saturday.

China is on a seven-day Lunar New Year holiday that started on Friday, a period when the amusement parks would be usually packed with tourists.

China has confirmed 1,975 cases of patients infected with the new coronavirus as of Jan. 25, while the death toll from the virus has risen to 56.

The virus originated in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in Hubei late last year and has spread to Chinese cities including Beijing and Shanghai, as well as to the United States, Thailand, South Korea, Japan, Australia, France and Canada. (Reporting by Yilei Sun, Samuel Shen and Tony Munroe; Editing by Tom Hogue)

-- With ABS-CBN News and Agence France-Presse