OPINION: Young lives shattered

Karim Raslan -- Ceritalah ASEAN

Posted at Nov 17 2017 06:15 PM

Zulfarhan Osman was a third-year electrical engineering student at the National Defence University of Malaysia (UPNM) where he also trained as a cadet.

Zulfarhan was the eldest of four children.

Hawa Osman, 54, and Zulkarnain Idros, 53, are determined to attend all court sessions in order to find out the truth about their son’s death.

Hawa described Zulfarhan as a “Mama’s boy” who was not shy about showing affection towards her.

Zulfarhan (middle) dreamed of captaining a navy ship one day.

Zulfarhan was athletic. He participated in marathons, duathlons and triathlons while in university.

Zulfarhan was very close to his youngest sister who was six years his junior.

Hawa has a portrait of her late son as the screensaver on her mobile phone.

Zulkarnain received a call from a (UPNM) officer informing him of Zulfarhan’s death on 1 June 2017.

“At 11:30 pm on 1 June 2017, Zulkarnain Idros, a 53-year-old taxi driver, received a telephone call. 

It was an officer from the National Defence University of Malaysia (UPNM) – the military college where his eldest son, Zulfarhan Osman, 21, was attending, hoping to obtain a Navy commission.

“Your son has died,” he told Zulkarnain. 

There was a long pause. 

“What happened?”

“He was burnt to death.”

When Hawa Osman, Zulkarnain’s 54-year-old wife, heard the news, she broke into tears. “Allah, my son…”

Initially, the officer read Zulfarhan’s military identity number over the phone. Unable and unwilling to believe the terrible news, the father asked for his civilian identity number instead.

“My mind was racing," the round-faced Zulkarnain explained. "I kept thinking that it was all a mistake. Maybe it was someone else’s child? I needed to see him for myself."

At midnight, Zulkarnain, Hawa and their three younger children set off from their home in the southern Malaysian state of Johor for the 300km trip to the Serdang Hospital in Kajang, Selangor.

Hawa, a woman with an intense and somewhat sorrowful expression, recalls how she had suspected something was amiss long before the call.

“My son usually called every night, but I hadn’t heard from him for more than a week because he’d lost his phone. Even so, after a few days, I felt something was wrong,” 

Finally, and just after 3:00am, the family arrived at the Serdang Hospital. The UPNM officer was there to greet them.

However, they weren't allowed to see the body until later that morning at 9:00am, leaving them to wait for six agonizing hours.

According to news reports, Zulfarhan was allegedly tortured by a group of his peers from 21 to 22 May 2017 for stealing a laptop. 

He was burned with a steam iron that was pressed and dragged along his limbs and torso. A belt, rubber hose, and a hanger were also used.

The offence was allegedly committed at the UPNM Jebat hostel between 2:30 am and 5:30 am on 21 May and 1:30 am to 5:45 am the following day.

The same news reports added that a week later on 27 May, two of his batch mates drove Zulfarhan to a clinic in Bangi for treatment. 

They subsequently brought him to the clinic again on 31 May.

On 1 June, some eleven days after the initial attack, Zulfarhan was finally taken to the hospital. He died almost immediately on arrival despite two attempts to revive his shattered body. 

For the parents, the initial viewing was tense and unbelievably painful. As Hawa explains: "When they first brought us in to 
identify him, we were only shown his face.”

She says this with her hand to her chest, indicating the part of Zulfarhan’s body that was exposed. "We asked to see our son’s entire body," at which point her voice falls silent as the pain of her grief momentarily overwhelms her.

According to an autopsy report, 80% of Zulfarhan’s body was covered in burns. Zulkarnain picks up the thread of the narrative: "I have no words to describe how it felt to see our son in that state. I had no more tears left. It’s particularly heart breaking for his mother. She gave birth to a perfect, healthy baby boy.” 
The father continues haltingly: "I couldn't stop asking myself: why do we have to bury him like this? What happened?" 

Zulfarhan’s body was released to the family at 3:00pm on 2 June 2017. He was buried in Johor that evening.

I met the family at the Kuala Lumpur Court Complex on 27 October. Both parents were wearing T-shirts with “#justice4farhan” printed across the chest. It was the court mention for the nineteen young men charged in connection with Zulfarhan’s death.

Five were charged with murder and one with abetment. Both charges carry the mandatory death penalty and these boys – they looked so young – had been remanded in custody. They were chained alongside the drug offenders and petty thieves that appear all too regularly in big city courts. 

Thirteen others were charged with voluntarily causing hurt and if found guilty, they face up to 7 years in prison. They weren't in remand. 

Instead, they were more formally dressed in long-sleeved shirts (some were even in suits) – waiting at the side and the back of the public gallery. As the Registrar called out their names they walked – some seemed to march, I remember thinking they were military cadets after all – to the front where they crowded out the dock, creating a degree of confusion. 

I couldn't help but feel deeply disturbed by the scene in court. It was so bizarre. 

All these fresh-faced and smart-looking boys. In any other context, I would be thinking “Here are a bunch of bright young things: my country's future.” But instead, they were gathered in the centre of the courtroom and their futures very much in question all because of what happened to Zulfarhan some six months earlier. 

One boy – one of their number – had died and hideously so. 
Only they – this group of nineteen – knew why. Only they knew how. 

Throughout the proceedings, Zulkarnain, Hawa and their 15-year-old daughter sat in the front row of the public gallery. Silent and dignified, they looked on as the alleged perpetrators of their son's murder thronged in front of them. 

Meanwhile, all around them were the parents of the nineteen, some looking shame-faced, others trying their best to cheer up their boys.

Having noticed the invisible divide between the two groups, I asked if there had been any interaction. 

The father explained: "Two of the suspects’ parents have approached me to apologise.”

“I said to them: if I forgive you, will my son come back?"

But, at least, with a trial date pending, the family will soon learn about their son's last days and the reasons – if any – behind the extraordinary brutality of his death. 

Zulkarnain is candid when he describes how they feel. "We have no idea what happened in that whole week from when he was tortured to when he was found. It’s like no one even noticed he was missing. That’s why we have to come to the trial.”

Despite mandatory, nightly roll calls, Zulfarhan's absence remained a secret. 

Hawa adds: "There has been a lot of gossip since the incident. We’ve heard many rumours about what happened. But we need to find out the truth. Although this case will take a very long time, I will continue following it for my son. We can’t just let it go.”

You can understand why as you listen to Zulkarnain (who, despite his suffering, never loses his warm, special smile) and Hawa talk about their eldest child.

He was a loving and responsible third-year electrical engineering student. He dreamt of captaining ships one day.

Those hopes are now gone. But for the nineteen accused, the future has become almost as cloudy. An endless trial. Legal fees. 
Glittering careers destroyed.

Amidst it all, Hawa, the grieving mother is implacable. "I have to know. I can accept that my son has died, but I can’t accept the way he died.”

Disclaimer: The views in this blog are those of the blogger and do not necessarily reflect the views of ABS-CBN Corp.