MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday admitted that his so-called "narco-list" is not strong enough to establish the guilt of people being linked to the illegal drug trade.
Duterte, in his speeches, is always seen brandshing a thick pile of papers containing the names of government officials, elected politicians, judges, police officers, and soldiers supposedly involved in the drug trade.
The president, a former prosecutor, however, said more work needs to be done to pin down these personalities, some of whom he has already named publicly.
“This is not a document where I can prove my case beyond reasonable doubt. Wala ako. This is a work of intelligence – kapag galing sa Army, ipa-process ko sa police just to make sure. Ang sa pulis ipa-process ko sa ibang unit,” Duterte told ANC’s Lynda Jumilla in an exclusive interview in Malacañang.
Duterte said that with the numerous personalities involved in the drug trade, he may not have enough power “to kill them all.”
Earlier this month, Duterte tagged former Iligan City officials Rep. Vicente Belmonte, Mayor Lawrence Cruz, and a certain Mayor Willy Lim as politicians allegedly involved in illegal drugs.
The politicians have since denied involvement in the illegal drug trade.