MANILA—The number of fatalities from the 6.9-magnitude earthquake that rocked Mindanao has reached to 11, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said Wednesday.
Most of the fatalities were recorded in Davao del Sur with 9, the agency said in its situational report as of Wednesday night. The other fatalities were from Davao Occidental and North Cotabato.
Some 111 people were also reported injured while 1 remains missing when the strong temblor struck on Dec. 15 in Padada town, the quake's epicenter.
The tremor also damaged 172 schools in Davao Region and Soccsksargen.
State seismologists have also recorded 826 aftershocks of which 364 were plotted while 86 were felt.
The Phivolcs had said that a 5.3-magnitude tremor that shook Davao del Sur early Wednesday was the strongest aftershock recorded so far.
The Philippines is located on the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire, where earthquakes occur frequently.