MANILA (2nd UPDATE)—Severe tropical storm Ramon intensified into a typhoon as it continued to inch toward the Philippine landmass early Tuesday, the state weather agency said.
The tropical cyclone was last seen 120 kilometers east of Calayan, Cagayan as of 4 a.m., packing 120 kilometers per hour (kph) winds and gusts of up to 150 kph, PAGASA said.
Moving west-northwest at a speed of 10 kph, Ramon is forecast to hit land over the Babuyan Islands and the northern coast of Cagayan Tuesday and may weaken after landfall.
Tropical cyclone wind signals remain hoisted over the following areas:
- Signal number 3, where wind speeds of 121 to 170 kph may be experienced within 18 hours.
- Northern portion of Cagayan (Abulug, Aparri, Ballesteros, Buguey, Calayan, Camalaniugan, Claveria, Gonzaga, Pamplona, Santa Praxedes, Sanchez Mira, Santa Teresita and Santa Ana)
- Signal number 2, where wind speeds of 61 to 120 kph may be experienced within 24 hours.
- The rest of Cagayan
- Ilocos Norte
- Ilocos Sur
- Signal number 1, where wind speeds of 30 to 60 kph may be experienced within 36 hours.
- Northern portion of Isabela (Sta. Maria, San Pablo, Maconacon, Cabagan, Sto. Tomas, Quezon, Delfin Albano, Tumauini, Divilacan, Quirino, Roxas, Mallig, San Manuel, Burgos Gamu and Ilagan City)
- La Union
- Mountain Province
Batanes, northern portion of Cagayan including Babuyan Islands, Apayao and northern portion of Ilocos Norte may experience moderate with frequent heavy rains Tuesday.
The northern portion of Isabela, Kalinga, Abra and the rest of Cagayan and Ilocos Sur may experience light to moderate with intermittent heavy rains.
Meanwhile, a low-pressure area off Eastern Visayas entered the Philippine area of responsibility (PAR) at 2 a.m.
The weather disturbance, which was last spotted 930 kilometers east of Guiuan, Eastern Samar as of 4 a.m., may develop into a tropical depression within 24 hours, PAGASA said.
Classes in Cagayan were also suspended due to the effects of Ramon.
Visit the ABS-CBN Weather Center for the latest weather updates.