Justice chief orders deeper NBI probe into Sagay massacre

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 08 2018 05:27 PM

The site where 9 hacienda workers were massacred by unidentified gunmen on October 20 in Sagay City. ABS-CBN News/File


 
MANILA - Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said Thursday he has directed the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to look "more deeply" into the massacre of 9 farmers in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last month after it found "no clear indication" of the assailants' identities so far. 

The fatalities, all members of the National Federation of Sugar Workers (NFSW), reportedly tried to occupy private land in Hacienda Nene last Oct. 20. They were having dinner inside tents when 5 to 6 gunmen opened fire. 

The NBI, which was directed to look into the crime on Oct. 23, has submitted a progress report that had "no clear indication yet as to who were the perpetrators," Guevarra said in a statement. 

"It's basically a narration of what happened before, during, and after the attack, based on the accounts of witnesses," he said. 

"I directed them to investigate more deeply," he added. 
 
Police earlier said the crime may have been the handiwork of communist rebels or a private armed group. 

Authorities were still investigating the possible motive in Tuesday's fatal shooting of a lawyer who assisted the NFSW after the Sagay massacre. -- Reports from Mike Navallo and Dexter Ganibe, ABS-CBN News