Blogger Olivar explains bomb threat post; NCRPO chief says he may be liable

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 22 2018 03:42 PM

Palace Communications Assistant Secretary Margaux "Mocha" Uson, Metro Manila Police chief Director Guillermo Eleazar, and blogger Drew Olivar. Bianca Dava, ABS-CBN News

MANILA - Blogger Drew Olivar met with the Philippine National Police (PNP) Saturday to explain his post on an alleged bomb threat, saying he did not mean to scare others and just shared information he saw online. 

This after Metro Manila Police chief Director Guillermo Eleazar said the police would investigate Olivar over his social media post on a possible bombing, which has drawn flak.

"Ito po ay aming iimbestigahan (we will investigate this) and we will prepare the appropriate charges before the city prosecutor after we gather all the documents or pieces of evidence na kailangan dito," Eleazar said in a press conference at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig City.

The blogger came under fire for posting on Facebook that there might be a bombing on Friday, the 46th anniversary of late dictator Ferdinand Marcos' declaration of martial law. 

Olivar, in a Facebook post, said the supposed plot may be similar to the Plaza Miranda bombing in Quiapo, Manila in 1971. He added that it would be scary to stage protests on EDSA.

No such incident occurred on Friday. 

"Wala naman po akong intensiyon na magbigay ng takot sa mga tao, sa mga Pilipino," he said, noting that he leaves it to his lawyers to handle the case.

(I had no intention of scaring any person or the Filipinos.)

"Ako ay nagbigay lamang po ng post na mag-ingat po kayo," he added.

(I only posted to remind people to take care.)

Palace Communications Assistant Secretary Margaux "Mocha" Uson accompanied Olivar to the meeting, saying she wanted to help her friend. 

Asked about the basis of his post, Olivar said he already saw similar posts as early as Sept. 8.

"Marami na pong mga post na ganun so 'yun po ang basis ko. Ako din na-alarm din po ko," he said.

(I already saw similar posts so that was my basis. I was also alarmed.)

Eleazar said the PNP has yet to receive any formal complaint concerning Olivar's post.

Making bomb jokes or spreading false information concerning bombs is illegal under Presidential Decree No. 1727.

People found guilty of the offense can face imprisonment of up to 5 years and/or a fine of up to P40,000.

Eleazar added that Olivar may also be held liable under the "Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012” since the alleged bomb scare was communicated through social media.

This is not the first time that Olivar drew flak on social media.

He had previously courted controversy for a video where he is seen mimicking sign language and making sounds in an apparent imitation of hearing-impaired people. 

Olivar and Uson are facing a complaint before the Office of the Ombudsman over the video

Olivar, along with Uson, also came under fire earlier for a controversial video featuring the jingle "pepedederalismo" - a play on the term federalism.