2 more convicts in Chiong sisters' rape-slay surrender under Duterte ultimatum

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 18 2019 08:24 PM | Updated as of Sep 18 2019 09:44 PM

MANILA - Two more convicts in the 1997 rape-slay of sisters Jacqueline and Marijoy Chiong released early on good conduct have surrendered to authorities, a justice official said Wednesday.

Justice Undersecretary Markk Perete said convicts Josman Aznar and James Anthony Uy surrendered around 6:30 p.m. Wednesday to Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) officials following their early release last month under the controversial good conduct time allowance (GCTA) law.

The two came forward on the eve of the lapse of President Rodrigo Duterte's 15-day ultimatum issued Sept. 4 for some 2,000 heinous crime convicts released early via the GCTA to surrender or face warrantless arrest. 

Authorities earlier said three convicts in the Chiong sisters' rape-slay were released through a memorandum dated Aug. 16, which said they were found to have “served 40 years upon retroactive application of RA (Republic Act) No. 10592 (the GCTA law) and was certified to have no other legal cause to be further detained.”

Two other convicts, Ariel Balansag and Alberto Caño, earlier surrendered to officials.

Uy was not named in previous reports on the Chiong sisters' rape-slay convicts who were released. 

Close to 1,000 convicts have surrendered before the President's deadline, authorities said. 

- With a report from Mike Navallo, ABS-CBN News