'Dead or alive': Duterte vows P1M bounty for capture of GCTA-freed convicts

Pia Gutierrez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 17 2019 10:08 PM

MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte said he will push through with his plan to offer P1 million for the capture of each of the convicts who failed to surrender to authorities before September 19.

Duterte told reporters Tuesday he prefers the convicts to be taken in dead. 

“Basta ako sinabi ko, I will just set the timeline and then the P1 million prize is available to those who can capture them dead or alive, but maybe dead would be a better option,” Duterte said after an oath-taking of new appointees in Malacañang. 

(For me, I will just set the timeline and then the P1 million prize is available to those who can capture them dead or alive, but maybe dead would be a better option.)

“I will pay you smiling. I-balik ko 'yan sa preso, makakain pa yung p*********g yan. Gagastos pa ako,” he added.

(I will pay you smiling. I send them back to prison, they'll just eat these *******. I have to spend.)

Duterte earlier ordered some 2,000 heinous crime convicts that were freed under the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) law to surrender before the given deadline. 

The Philippine National Police earlier said fewer than 600 convicts have turned themselves to authorities so far, a few days before the 15-day grace period lapses.

The President reiterated that he is against granting of GCTA to those who are convicted for heinous and recidivists.

“Ang totoo talaga niyan ‘yang heinous crime, pati one other --- wala sa enumeration. Recidivist, pati a guy who would go in and out repeatedly. Well, actually it’s under the broad term recidivist. Kaya ‘yang nasasabit diyan ngayon because there is a variance in the law,” Duterte said.

Lawmakers and authors of the law have argued that heinous-crime convicts are excluded from the GCTA coverage, after a former prisons bureau chief these convicts are included in the coverage.