MANILA - The Department of Justice said Thursday it was "fast-tracking" a recommendation for the replacement of Bureau of Corrections chief Nicanor Faeldon, who was fired from his post following questions on the legality of the early release of heinous crime convicts.
While the required qualifications for BuCor chief are "very general", DOJ Secretary Menardo Guevarra is focusing on the moral integrity of potential candidates, said Justice Undersecretary and Spokesperson Markk Perete.
"We know that very important iyong position ng Director General, especially now, kaya we are fast-tracking the process," he told DZMM.
Guevarra will designate "within the day" an officer-in-charge for BuCor, who will "most probably" be one of its 2 deputy director generals, Perete said.
President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday fired Faeldon after he approved the early release due to good conduct of several heinous crime convicts, including 3 suspects in the 1990s rape-slay of the Chiong sisters in Cebu.
Faeldon also told a Senate inquiry that he recommended freedom for Antonio Sanchez, a former mayor of Calauan, Laguna convicted in the rape and murder of a University of the Philippines student and the torture and killing of her companion.
Faeldon said he stopped the release process for Sanchez "because I believe he is not entitled."
Duterte said 1,700 convicts who were freed early for good behavior should be sent back to prison after questions were raised over the legality of their release.
BuCor records, however, show 1,914 heinous crime convicts, including those charged with rape and murder, were freed since 2014.
Faeldon previously headed the Bureau of Customs. Under his watch, some P6.4 billion worth of shabu slipped past port inspections in 2017.