MANILA- President Rodrigo Duterte rejected releasing convicted rapist-killer Antonio Sanchez from prison, Senator Bong Go said Monday.
The President last Wednesday ordered Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra and Bureau of Corrections Chief Nicanor Faeldon not to release the former Calauan, Laguna mayor as a beneficiary of a 2013 law expanding the application of good conduct time allowances for convicts.
The law clearly excludes inmates convicted of heinous crimes from qualifying for early release, Go said.
“Pinaabot niya (Duterte) kay BuCor chief Faeldon at Secretary Guevarra para iparating sa kanila na hindi maaaring marelease 'yan (Sanchez), dahi pinag-aaralan ni Pangulong Duterte ang batas, at nakalagay po dun sa RA 10592 na excluded ang heinous crimes,” Go said.
(The President told BuCor chief Faeldon and Sec. Guevarra that Sanchez cannot be released. The President studies the law and it's clear that Sanchez is excluded due to heinous crimes.)
Guevarra on Monday said the Palace has asked him to "hold the processing" of Sanchez's case "until all the factual and legal issues have been fully threshed out."
Malacañang earlier said that Sanchez is not eligible to avail of early release since the law excludes “recidivists, habitual delinquents, escapees and persons charged with heinous crimes from the benefit of its coverage.”
"Mr. Sanchez, under Republic Act 10592 is not eligible. So the President as chief enforcer of the law will have to follow the law,” Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo, former defense counsel of Sanchez, said last week.
Sanchez was convicted in 1995 and sentenced to over 200 years in prison over the 1993 rape-murder case of University of the Philippines Los Baños student Eileen Sarmenta and the death of companion Allan Gomez.