MANILA - Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles on Thursday said the government will start the partial turnover of new houses for families displaced by super typhoon Yolanda in 2013.
Nograles, in a press statement, said instead of the usual wholesale distribution of housing units, the government will turnover the housing units in small batches.
"Gusto ko na sa tuwing may mga units na tapos na ay agad na itong mai-turn over sa mga pamilyang sinalanta ng bagyong Yolanda. Kapag may 20 o 30 housing units na pwedeng paglipatan yung mga beneficiaries ay ibigay na natin para mayroon na silang masilungan na bagong bahay na disaster-resilient," he said.
Nograles, who is also the head of the inter-agency task force, said the National Housing Authority (NHA) is expected to complete the entire housing project for displaced families by 2020.
He said, however, that the government does not need to wait for the 100 percent completion of the housing units and should start distributing units that are ready for occupancy.
Once finished, the relocation sites will be turned into communities complete with all amenities, Nograles added.
As of July 31, 59 percent or 120,615 units have been completed so far. Of this number, only 57,064 have been turned over to the beneficiaries.
Nograles said that upon the instruction of President Rodrigo Duterte, the IATF-Yolanda would start distributing the remaining housing units in small batches so the beneficiaries can move in right away.
“Gusto po natin na mapakinabangan na agad ito ng recipients para maiparamdam natin sa kanila ang tunay na malasakit ng pamahalaan, lalung-lalo na sa gitna ng pagsusungit ng panahon. Dahil kapag nakalipat na sila sa kanilang bagong bahay ay makakapamuhay na sila ng tahimik at malayo sa peligro,” Nograles said.