MANILA- President Rodrigo Duterte does not need to apologize for the temporary loss of jobs of some workers following the shutdown of lotto outlets and other Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office gaming kiosks, his spokesman said.
Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said Wednesday lotto workers should “rejoice” that Duterte lifted the suspension he imposed last week.
“They should be happy that the findings of the President’s investigation showed that there is no corruption. They should rejoice on that,” Panelo told reporters in Malacañang.
Panelo said the President allowed the resumption of lotto operations after a 4-day shutdown because he is“satisfied” with it.
Gaming schemes such as the Peryahan ng Bayan, small town lottery (STL) and Keno, however, remain suspended pending the results of an investigation into allegations of "illegal activities and corrupt practices."
The 4-day shutdown of lotto outlets resulted in P250 million in revenue losses, the PCSO reported Wednesday.
“Marami na rin silang kinita. Hindi naman ganoon kaano yun na wala silang kinita,” Panelo said.
(They already earned a lot. It’s not much that they didn’t earn anything for a while.)