Palace clarifies Duterte won’t abolish PCSO

Arianne Merez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 30 2019 03:43 PM


MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte has no plans to abolish the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office even as he accused the agency of “massive corruption” and suspended its gaming operations, his spokesperson said Tuesday.

Duterte is only after ridding the PCSO of corruption, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo explained.

“We were not talking of closure of this agency. We’re talking of stopping massive corruption,” Panelo told reporters during a Palace press briefing.

Duterte last week declared all PCSO gaming schemes, including the lottery, as illegal and ordered authorities to shut down gaming kiosks nationwide. Over 30,000 PCSO-regulated stores were shut down during the weekend.

The PCSO, however, assured the public that its medical assistance program would continue despite the suspension of its gaming schemes.

On Monday, Panelo said gaming outlets would remain closed until government finishes its investigation into alleged corruption within the PCSO. He also assured the public that the President would name all players involved in the supposed corruption “in due time.”

The PCSO was created through Republic Act No. 1169. Under the Office of the President, the PCSO is designated as the principal government agency for raising and providing funds for health programs, medical assistance and services.