MANILA--President Rodrigo Duterte has yet to approve the proposed resumption of face-to-face classes in modified general community quarantine areas classified as having low-risk of COVID-19 transmission, Malacañang said Thursday.
The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) and Department of Education (DepEd) were ordered to submit their proposal on the matter to the government's pandemic task force, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said.
"Mayroon pong proposal na limited face-to-face, hindi pa po yan mapapatupad hanggang hindi pa po naaprubahan ng ating Presidente," Roque said in a Palace press briefing.
(There is a proposal for limited face-to-face but that will not be implemented until the President approves it.)
"Ang sabi po ni Presidente, i-submit mo sa amin ang written proposals at nang ma-discuss nang mas mabuti yan," he added.
(The President asked for written proposals so that it could be discussed better.)
CHED Chair Prospero De Vera III and Education Secretary Leonor Briones brought up the matter to the President in a meeting Wednesday night.
Briones on Thursday said DepEd has received several proposals calling for the resumption of face-to-face classes in select areas.
"Sa tingin namin sa mga tinatawag nating low-risk areas pwede siguro payagan natin 'yung limited na face-to-face pero may mga kondisyones," she said in a virtual press briefing.
(We think we can allow limited face-to-face classes can be allowed in areas deemed low-risk but with conditions.)
It can be recalled that the President had previously said he would not allow face-to-face classes until a vaccine against COVID-19 is made available.