MANILA - Blowing oneself up to kill other people goes against the character of Filipinos, Malacañang said Thursday as it expressed concern over the country’s first homegrown suicide bomber.
Authorities earlier this week confirmed that a Filipino suicide bomber was among those behind the July 3 twin blasts in Sulu, marking the first validated case of a Philippine citizen involved in such an attack.
“It’s a cause for concern given that this is the first time that there is a Filipino suicide bomber. It goes against the grain of the character of Filipinos yung magsu-suicide ka para sa (killing yourself for) terrorism,” Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said during a Palace press briefing.
Filipino Norman Lasuca was one of the bombers behind last week's blasts in Indanan town which left 8 people dead and 12 others wounded.
President Rodrigo Duterte has directed authorities to “enhance the technology in surveillance and intelligence work” in light of last week’s attack, Panelo said.
“Mag-ingat. Ano man nakikita nila na ‘di normal ipaalam nila sa kaukulang awtoridad, lalo na yung nakikita nilang galaw na mapanganib para sa kanilang kalagayan,” Panelo said, addressing the public.
(Take care. Report to authorities any suspicious activities and persons that they feel are dangerous to their safety.)