DILG issues show cause orders to 8 Cebu City barangay chiefs

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 10 2020 12:16 PM

MANILA - Eight barangay chiefs from COVID-19 hotspot Cebu City were issued with show cause orders for alleged failure to implement community quarantine protocols, the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) said Friday.

DILG Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya said the officials were asked to explain their actions some 2 days ago.

"Mayroon pong mga kapitan na tinolerate nila 'yung pa-basketball, violation ng curfew. Mayroon pong mga illegal na cockfighting na nangyari," Malaya said in a virtual press briefing.

(Some of the chairmen tolerated basketball games, and curfew violations. There was also illegal cockfighting.)

Cebu City is the only city in the country under a strict lockdown or enhanced community quarantine. The lockdown level will remain until July 15 as health officials have seen a spike in COVID-19 cases there.

The President earlier this month criticized the supposed stubbornness of Visayans and cited it as a reason for the increase in COVID-19 cases in central Philippines.

Malaya said the DILG's legal office is already studying the explanations submitted by some of the barangay chairmen.

"Kung mapapatunayan po na hindi katanggap-tanggap ang kanilang naging sagot sa show cause order ay mapipilitan po ang DILG na magsampa ng kaso laban sa mga kapitan na ito sa Ombudsman," Malaya said.

(If the DILG proves that their response to the show cause order is not acceptable, we will be forced to file a case against them before the Ombudsman.)