MANILA - The 9 policemen involved in the killing of 4 soldiers in Jolo, Sulu have been transferred to Camp Crame in Quezon City, the Philippine National Police said Wednesday.
The group arrived Tuesday and will be made available to the National Bureau of Investigation as it looks into the incident, PNP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Bernard Banac said.
The PNP and the Philippine Army has sought the NBI's help in an impartial investigation into the death of the soldiers last week near the Jolo Municipal Police Station as they were pursuing the trail of Abu Sayyaf bombmakers.
Police earlier said the soldiers, who were not wearing their uniform and were on board a sports utility vehicle, sped past a checkpoint. They allegedly pointed their guns at policemen, which prompted the clash.
The military, however, said the soldiers identified themselves at the checkpoint and complied with the police when asked if they would stop by the police station.
While the 2 groups were talking, a policeman shot the soldiers' leader "without provocation" and other PNP personnel fired at the soldiers who alighted and one who was still inside the van.
The Philippine Army demanded the relief of top police officials in Sulu for command responsibility.
--With reports from Zhander Cayabyab, ABS-CBN News