MANILA (UPDATE) -- Enrollment in public schools for the upcoming school year has been extended until July 15, Malacañang and the Department of Education announced Tuesday.
The enrollment period, which started on June 1, was supposed to end Tuesday, June 30.
"Ang mabuting balita po, mga magulang, extended po ang enrollment until July 15," Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque said in a Palace press briefing.
(The good news, parents, is the enrollment is extended until July 15.)
"Huwag naman ho hayaan na matigil ang proseso ng edukasyon ng ating mga anak bagaman may COVID-19," he added.
(Let us not allow the education of our children stop even when there is a pandemic.)
At the same time, the DepEd said remote and drop box enrollment in public schools would continue.
Since June 1, enrollment has been conducted through remote means, such as text messaging, phone calls or social media communication because of the continuing virus risk.
On June 16, the DepEd opened a "drop box" system where students or parents could submit enrollment forms in drop boxes in their schools or communities.
As of Tuesday morning, around 15.2 million learners have registered in public schools, data from the DepEd showed.
Around 22 million were enrolled in public schools last year.
Classes in public schools are scheduled to start on August 24 while private schools may begin earlier after securing approval from their respective regional directors.