Authorities in Cebu destroyed boxes containing raw pork meat weighing 2 tons from Belgium, one of 16 countries affected by African Swine Flu.
Dr. Jasmer Jumadiao, head of the import-export section of the National Meat Inspection Service (NMIS) Region 7, said the meat was intercepted during an operation by the Department of Veterinary Medicine and Fisheries at the Carbon Public Market.
"We are not taking any chances," said Jumadiao.
Authorities said the dates of manufacture on the boxes were October 2018.
The ban on meat products from 16 countries believed to have African Swine Flu started August 25 last year.
Julius Cuizon said he bought the meat from his importer in Manila.
He said the documents from the Bureau of Quarantine which he signed showed it was manufactured on May 2018 or before the ban started, but was shocked to learn that the boxes were dated October.
The NMIS is now on heightened alert for imported meat from 16 countries affected by African Swine Flu.