MANILA- President Rodrigo Duterte will not meddle in the public feud of Social Welfare Secretary Rolando Bautista and broadcaster Erwin Tulfo, Malacañang said Monday.
"The President does not intrude into any conflict between 2 individuals or groups so we’ll leave it to them. It’s a personal thing between Gen. Bautista and Mr. Tulfo,” Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said.
Tulfo late last month hurled insults at the former Army chief for being unable to immediately grant him an on-air interview. The radio personality has since apologized.
Bautista, a former commanding general of the Philippine Army, said Friday he would only accept Tulfo's apology for as long as it would be published in major broadsheets, posted on major social media platforms, and aired on different local radio stations.
He also required Tulfo to donate at least P300,000 to 19 charities and organizations.
On Saturday, Tulfo's brother Ben came to his defense and criticized Bautista's conditions.
"P***** na 'brotherhood'! Ang KAKAPAL! Ayon sa kumag na OIC, mag-sorry daw sa lahat ng media outlet. 'BUTAW' na P300k kinakailangan para mahugasan ang kasalanan," Ben, Erwin's brother, said in a tweet, referring to Bautista and the support he has received from former and current military officers.
(What the heck is that brotherhood! So shameless! According to the officer in charge, apologize to all media outlets. P300,000-fee needs to be paid to wash off sins.)
It can be recalled that the radio personality was under fire last year for a P60-million TV ad deal with the Department of Tourism while his sister, Wanda Teo, was still head of the agency. The money has yet to be returned to national coffers.