MANILA - Canada will cover the cost of shipping back garbage illegally sent here by a private Canadian firm some five years ago, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said Wednesday.
In a statement, Guevarra said the trash will be shipped back Thursday at an estimated cost of P10 million.
"I have just been informed that the Canadian trash will finally be shipped back to Canada tomorrow. The cost of reshipment from Manila to Vancouver, estimated at P10 million, will be shouldered by the Canadian government. The container vans will be loaded on vessels owned by three shipping companies," he said,
Catherine McKenna, Canada's Minister of Environment and Climate Change, earlier said the removal of the waste will be completed by the end of June.
Over 100 containers of Canadian waste, consisting of household trash, plastic bottles and bags, newspapers, and used adult diapers, arrived in Manila in batches between 2013 and 2014. The shipment was marked as recyclable scrap.
Trash from at least 26 containers have been buried in a Tarlac landfill.
Last month, President Rodrigo Duterte said he wanted the trash shipment returned to Canada's shores, warning that the issue might spark a war.
The Philippines also recalled its representatives to Canada and banned officials from traveling there after it missed a May 15 deadline to retrieve the garbage.