MANILA—Senator-elect Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. on Wednesday appealed for his detractors to stop with the negativity, as he maintained those who did not vote for him will someday realize they made the wrong decision.
Revilla succeeded in his Senate comeback, garnering more than 14.5 million votes to place 11th in the midterm polls.
“Nagpapasalamat ako sa mga 14 million 600 plus [thousand] na bumoto sa akin. At sa mga hindi sa akin bumoto, I know time will come you will realize also na mali ’yung naging decision niyo,” Revilla told ABS-CBN News’ Mario Dumaual.
(I thank the 14 million 600 plus [thousand] who voted for me. For those who did not vote for me, I know time will come you will realize that you made the wrong decision.)
He won a seat months after the Sandiganbayan acquitted him of embezzling P224 million in discretionary funds in his previous stint as senator.
Revilla, who had been detained for 4 years before his release in December, is still facing graft charges and is out on bail.
He said those who continue to bash him need to get over the fact that he won, and that critics instead should focus on uniting sides.
“ ’Yung mga bashers na patuloy na umuupak sa akin, sana po tama na, nagsalita na ang mayorya. Ang importante magkaisa tayo para sa bayan,” he said.
Revilla said he credits his acquittal, as well as his viral “budots” television advertisement, for winning.
“Nagpapasalamat ako sa budots, dahil kung hindi dahil sa budots, baka nawala ako sa number 12,” he said.
Revilla was first elected as senator in 2004, banking on the legacy of his father, former senator Ramon Revilla Sr., and his experience as Cavite vice governor and governor. He succeeded in his reelection bid in 2010, only to be detained in 2014 due to the pork barrel scam case.
He said being out of politics for 4 years made him feel like a “neophyte” lawmaker again, adding he will be fine with whatever committee chairmanship which will be given to him.