Metro Manila police chief Maj. Gen. Debold Sinas is getting hammered over his birthday party that violated quarantine protocols. Here are the stories making the headlines on ANC today:
Not off the hook
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said a criminal case was being readied against Metro Manila police chief Maj. Gen. Debold Sinas. The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) said Sinas was not off the hook even after the officer apologized. The Philippine National Police (PNP) and the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) are conducting their own probes. Calls are ringing out for Sinas to take a leave or quit, but he refused the suggestions.
Hammered by 'Ambo'
As the Philippines reels from the coronavirus pandemic, Typhoon Ambo (international name Vongfong) slammed into the country, making landfall over San Policarpo, Eastern Samar Thursday. Many more areas in Luzon are in the path of the storm. The Department of Health (DOH) reminded local government units to practice social distancing in evacuation centers.
The World Health Organization (WHO) said the coronavirus may never go away as the global death toll nears 300,000. In the Philippines, the death toll is now at 790 with the number of cases nearing 12,000.
The Philippines has lifted restrictions on departing overseas Filipino workers. The labor department also said an additional P1 billion would be released to provide assistance to OFWs who lost their jobs due to the global pandemic.
The late Heherson Alvarez, who passed away last month due to complications from COVID-19, has had many daring escapes and worthwhile causes. With photos courtesy of his daughter Xilca, ANCX traces his colorful political life.