Colmenares decries reports he, 5 Makabayan parties disqualified in polls

ABS-CBN News

Posted at May 13 2019 04:59 PM

MANILA - Senatorial candidate Neri Colmenares decried reports circulating on social media that he and five party-list groups of the Makabayan Coalition were disqualified by the Commission on Elections (Comelec) in the 2019 midterm polls. 

Colmenares, in an interview with DZMM, disputed claims made by a certain "Diego Pagbabago" on Facebook that he, along with Kabataan, Bayan Muna, Anakpawis, Gabriela, and the Alliance of Concerned Teachers, had been disqualified by the poll body. 

He added that text messages on this were also circulating online. 

"Gusto ko i-clarify ngayon na walang na-disqualify. Walang desisyon ang Comelec. It's false and I am qualified for the Senate until now," he told DZMM. 

The social media post alleged that the grounds for disqualification stemmed from the leftists' participation in efforts to overthrow the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte.

It also alleged that Colmenares was a member of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP). 

Colmenares, in a video, urged the Comelec to look into the matter. 

"Napaka-unequal na nga ng playing field, pagilid na nga 'yung resources namin dahil wala kaming pagmumulan ng mga rekurso na yan so sana sa Comelec umaksyon na po kayo," Colmenares said. 

A Comelec official said Colmenares and the leftist parties were not disqualified. 

"Fake news yun," Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez told reporters when asked about the matter.