MANILA - Canada will pay for the expenses of shipping out heaps of garbage it illegally dumped in the Philippines years ago, Malacañang said Tuesday.
Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said the matter was discussed during Monday’s Cabinet meeting.
"The DFA (Department of Foreign Affairs) and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources noted that the Canadian government is committed to shouldering all the expenses to ship out all the 69 waste containers,” Panelo said in a statement.
During the meeting, President Rodrigo Duterte also ordered that Manila would no longer accept garbage shipments from other countries.
"The President is firm that we are not garbage collectors, thus he ordered that the Philippines will no longer accept any waste from any country,” Panelo said.
Duterte last month said he wanted the trash shipment from Canada returned to Ottawa's shores, even warning that the issue might spark a war.
The President was referring to 103 containers of Canadian waste, consisting of household trash, plastic bottles and bags, newspapers, and used adult diapers, that arrived in Manila in batches from 2013 to 2014.
Trash from at least 26 containers have been buried in a Tarlac landfill.
Canada earlier affirmed its commitment to working with the Philippine government to address the problem.