MANILA - A powerful quake that left minor damage in parts of Visayas this week could have caused destruction had it been shallower, the disaster agency said Wednesday.
The magnitude 6.5 quake struck San Julian, Eastern Samar on Tuesday afternoon at a depth of 61 kilometers. It left 5 people injured and caused "minor damage" to some buildings, said disaster agency spokesperson Edgar Posadas.
In contrast, the magnitude 6.1 temblor that rattled Luzon on Monday afternoon left at least 16 dead, flattened some buildings and shuttered the Clark Airport for 48 hours. The quake was centered in Castillejos, Zambales and struck at a depth of 10 kilometers. It was also felt in Metro Manila and nearby areas.
"Kung mas mababaw ito[ng Visayas quake], mas nag-cause ng damage," Posadas told radio DZMM.
(If it had been shallower, it would have caused greater damage.)
The two quakes were "not related," state seismology office Phivolcs earlier said, adding that there was "no basis" for social media rumors about an impending magnitude 7.2 quake in Metro Manila.
Posadas urged the public to refrain from sharing the rumor. Earthquakes could not be predicted.
"We appeal to your sense of patriotism. Kung hindi po tayo makatulong, 'wag na po tayong makidagdag sa mga problema (If we can't help, let's not add to the problem)," he said.