DOH: COVID-19 cases in Quezon City rise to 625

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 08 2020 01:47 AM

The Quezon City government late Tuesday said the total number of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases in the city has reached 625, according to the Department of Health (DOH).

The number of COVID-19 cases with complete addresses in Quezon City is now at 563, the city government added.

Of this number, the QC Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit has validated 550 so far.

"The sudden rise in confirmed cases is due to the database access given by the Department of Health (DOH) to the City Health Department," the city's government's media bulletin said.

The Quezon City government also said it recorded no new fatality on Tuesday, with the total coronavirus-related deaths in the city still at 34, while 11 new recoveries were reported, bringing the total to 26. 

Thirty-one barangays in the city have been placed under extreme enhanced community quarantine.

In an effort to contain the virus in the city, Mayor Joy Belmonte has issued Executive Order No. 25, series of 2020, which requires residents to wear any form of covering in their nose and mouth when in public.

Belmonte said city authorities will give away face masks to help residents comply with the order, and penalties will be slapped on violators. 

"Umaasa akong makatutulong ang hakbang na ito upang mabawasan ang pagkalat ng COVID-19 sa ating lungsod,” she said.