AFP chief recovers from COVID-19: spokesman

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 05 2020 03:38 PM

AFP Chief of Staff Felimon Santos. Armed Forces of the Philippines

MANILA - The Philippines' military chief has recovered from the new coronavirus (COVID-19), a spokesman said Sunday.

Armed Forces of the Philippines chief General Felimon Santos Jr. has tested negative for the respiratory illness in a result released Sunday, according to Brig. Gen. Edgard Arevalo.

Santos has not shown any symptoms since he was found to have contracted the illness on March 27, Arevalo said.

"We wish to thank everyone for the continuing prayers and support accorded to the AFP Chief and to every soldier, airman, sailor, and marine who tirelessly protect fellow Filipinos and the communities against COVID-19 and other threats to national well-being," he said in a statement.

"We continue our call for everyone to cooperate: stay home, use masks, and observe physical distancing. This battle against COVID-19 is everybody’s fight that should start from our respective homes. The life we are saving by doing that could be our own or that of our loved ones."

The AFP chief may have been infected by a senior military officer who had tested COVID-positive on March 23.

The officer was newly promoted and it was Santos who pinned his new rank on to the former's shoulder in a military ceremony on March 13.

Following Santos' positive test result, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana and other military officials have placed themselves on self-quarantine.

Other government officials who have contracted the virus and has so far felt better are Senators Sonny Angara and Miguel Zubiri.

As of Saturday, the Philippines has recorded 3,094 COVID-19 cases, including 57 recoveries and 144 fatalities.