MANILA (UPDATE) - President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday denied that his eldest son Paolo is involved in the illegal drug trade.
“Well, that is a propaganda that has been repeated all the time. Alam mo --- alam ko propaganda na ‘yan. I was told. Eh pabalik-balik na ‘yang… I assure you, we are not into it,” Duterte said in an chance interview at the sidelines of the annual convention of the League of Prosecutors in Puerto Princesa City.
Duterte claimed that his political enemies are behind the viral video.
“Ngayon, the purveyor of that is number one, Nograles and the rest of the yellow. Yellow ‘yan,” he said.
He also tagged one of the supposed purveyors of the video, whom he did not name, as "gay".
“Kaya sabi ko kayong mga bakla… I do not have to give the name. Iyan sa mga critics ko tanungin ninyo kung sino at alam ninyo kung sino siya,” he said.
A video uploaded online earlier linked the former vice mayor and Agriculture Assistant Secretary Waldo Carpio to an illegal drug ring. Carpio is a sibling of Manases Carpio, the President's son-in-law and husband of Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte.
The video showed a list of "tara" or grease money allegedly deposited into the accounts of drug lords with the code names "POLODELTA-TSG01" and "ALPHA TIERRA-0029."
The nearly 7-minute clip's narrator claimed that the bank accounts belonged to Carpio, who allegedly transferred P170 million and P210 million in separate instances last year to Paolo Duterte's purported account under an international bank.
The President's son, who is running for Representative of Davao City's first district in May's midterm elections, has accused Sen. Antonio Trillanes of being behind the video.
Trillanes, a vocal critic of the President, earlier accused the younger Duterte and Carpio of involvement in drug smuggling.
The former vice mayor has sued Trillanes for libel over the allegations.
Malacañang has described the video as "black propaganda intended to besmirch and destroy [President Duterte] and his family."