House disowns tweets on supposed COVID-19 martial law plan

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 02 2020 03:04 PM

MANILA - The House of Representatives disowned Thursday a Twitter account that posted supposed plans for placing the country under martial law to contain the COVID-19 pandemic.

The account @house_files, which bore the official seal of the lower chamber of Congress, claimed that the government was using an investigation on Pasig Mayor Vico Sotto's supposed lockdown violation to "divert the people's attention" away from alleged plans for military rule.

The House of Representatives reported the account, which later changed its name to @congresstita, to Twitter, said House of Representatives Secretary General Jose Luis Montales.

“We shall prosecute the perpetrators to the fullest extent of the law. The Philippine government is ensuring that the public shall receive only accurate and relevant information on its efforts against COVID-19. Let us be vigilant and consider information only from verified and authentic source," he said in a statement.

The official Twitter account of the House of Representatives of the Philippines is @HouseofRepsPH, he said.

Martial law is not among government's options to address the coronavirus pandemic, Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles said Thursday.

Purveyors of COVID-19 misinformation could face fines and possible jail time, the PNP said last week. The National Bureau of Investigation has also summoned several online users for allegedly spreading fake news.