DOJ junks rebellion rap vs wife of slain Maute leader

Ina Reformina, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 09 2018 01:32 PM | Updated as of Mar 09 2018 01:53 PM

MANILA (UPDATE) - The Department of Justice (DOJ) has dismissed the rebellion case against the wife of a Maute terrorist slain in the five-month siege of Marawi City last year.

In an 8-page resolution dated March 7, the DOJ said there is no probable cause to indict the woman for rebellion.

"[W]e find that there is no probable cause to indict respondent... for rebellion. Her act of bringing food and being with her husband (Mohammad Maute) are not overt acts of rebellion,” the DOJ said in a resolution.

The wife of a local terrorist, the woman was arrested on January 23 in Barangay Rosary Heights 3, Cotabato City.

In the complaint against the woman, the Philippine National Police - Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP) had said she should be brought to trial for aiding the terror group in its public uprising and taking of arms against the government by forcibly taking over Marawi City. 

On two separate occasions, the woman brought food to the armed group, the complaint alleged.

"[W]hile we laud the efforts of the PNP and the AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines) in apprehending the people responsible for the public uprising and the taking of arms against the government in Marawi City, we cannot agree with their position that respondent should be indicted for rebellion on the basis of the evidence they have presented," The DOJ said.

The woman's husband died in the battle of Marawi City, where Islamic State-linked Maute terrorists fought it out with state troops for five months. 

The firefights left more than a thousand people dead, mostly extremists, and displaced hundreds of thousands of residents. Rehabilitation efforts are ongoing. 

The Maute group's siege on Marawi City led President Rodrigo Duterte to declare martial law over Mindanao.